Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY Tufted Headboard (work in progressive)

My husband asked, "now why do we need a headboard?"  

 All I can say is he's never going to get it!

About 6 months ago, I started projected cohesive master bed room. I took the matching bed side table I picked up at a thrift store for the guest bed room years ago, the severely abused dresser my mother in law gave us, and a dresser I found at a thrift store for $20  and painted them gray and turquoise. I painted the existing lamp shades to coordinate, pulled accessories and art from other rooms and purchased a couple throw pillows for the ottoman. I really felt things were coming together the only big thing missing was a head board. The wall behind the bed looked so sad and empty I knew I had to do something. I was craving a tufted head board. I fell in love with this one from Coast Pluse World Market but I almost fainted at the sight of the $500.00 price tag. I have flirted with the idea of making a tufted head board for years but in the past when I had entertained the idea, even the DIY versions seemed expensive. Wood, foam, batting, buttons and fabric add up quick. I had written off the idea and was in search of a wood head board I could paint. I found one, at this salvage yard warehouse slash thrift store I love for $5.00. Then it hit me I could turn it into a tufted headboard. That resourcefulness probably saved me close to $50.00.

So This is How I did it...

  • Painted the parts of the head board that would not be exposed with paint I already head; cost 30min.
  • Measured and drill holes for tufting; cost 30min. 
  • Cut to shape, a queen size foam pad from an old mattress that we just took to the dumb, Cost 20 min.
  • Used spray adhesive and a few staples to attach two layer of the foam; Cost $4.50 and 10 min.
  • Cut an old mattress pad with multiple layers of batting laying in the attached it to headboard with staple gun; Cost 30 min.
  • Covered buttons using a kit from the fabric store and the fabric from the little bag my duvet cover came in; Cost $9.99 and 45 min.
  • Draped lien fabric and then started tufting. There are some many great tutorials that one can reference for tufting; cost $12.00 3hours and 30 min. I will say this my fingers are sore from tufting and it took way more time than I expected. Maybe because I was just figuring it out as I went.
  • Once all the buttons were in place, I used the staple guns  to secure the fabric on the back, cost 1 hour.
  • The plan is to finish it off with piping

1 comment:

  1. Now day, absolutely everyone is searching out a new but well settled and a fulfillment flow for his or her career. after I got here to this blog, I definitely inspired through all of the facts factors noted right right here. thank you for this assist. Dog Feeding Bowl